I get a little *squee* of joy whenever I think about NaNo.

It’s because of the camaraderie. I’ve done other NaNo-esque months on my own (last June I did 70K on Embers in a month) but they are never the same. More of a slog. Frustrating and lonely. Running a marathon on one’s own is not the same as with a crowd (I am assuming since I don’t run marathons; my feeling is if God had wanted me to run marathons, they would have invented a better sports bra). I’m active in NaNo’s forums and on Twitter all through November, and that’s the difference. This year I even plan on hosting an informal write-in on Sunday nights at our neighbourhood Starbucks, which has a big table, and I’m really looking forward to seeing who turns up.

Mostly settled on what to write. I would say 70% chance I will work on a new novel, set in the Melanie-verse. That leaves 30% chance that my brain will say NO NO NO NO NO and I will end up working on Embers again. I would rather use NaNo to start and finish a single draft in one go, but whatevs. As long as I am writing again every day I don’t care.

I’ve purposefully arranged my schedule of projects so that November is left (creatively) alone. And on that note, I’m happy to announce that Grace & Victory’s latest project, Becoming Beast by Laura Dehaan, will be launching on Halloween! Hooray! It’s a great story, and while the cover is still a W.I.P., I am pretty proud of it so far. Next week Laura is guest-posting with her take on Things I Wish People Would Ask Me At Parties, so that will be fun. And rambly.


Have you signed up for NaNo yet? Have any ideas? Are you a plotter, or a pantser like me?

Published in blog writing updates


Victoria Feistner is a novelist, a graphic designer, and an artisan in equal parts, although some of those parts are more equal than others. She resides in Toronto with her husband and two fur children, also known as cats.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.